The holidays are almost here, and many people start decorating for Christmas right after Thanksgiving, if not before. Spruce up your usual seasonal décor with these handy holiday “hacks,” tips, and ideas from InnVirginia:
- “This is a great time of year to go to the craft stores and stock up on beautiful ribbon. Hobby Lobby, for instance has an amazing selection. Don’t be afraid to go a little outside of your comfort zone. Last year I decorated my tree with red and gold, which was absolutely stunning. I used a double sided ribbon, as well as red accent leaves that stuck out of the top of the tree.” – Jami Carlton Photography. Click here to read more of Jami’s tips.
- “Don't be afraid to overdo it! Oh, and command strips! Durable and easy to remove.” –The Richard Johnston Inn
- Extend your decorating creativity to the food. This Italian bread with Asiago, parsley and mushroom cream from Briar Patch Bed & Breakfast is every bit as festive looking as any holiday décor.
- Use your mantel as an easy focus piece. Check out how Cooper’s Landing Inn and Traveler’s Tavern used theirs. You can almost feel the warmth from the fireplace!
- Go vintage! “One of the great pleasures of the holiday season at the Middleburg Country Inn is the opportunity to transform our home with vintage Christmas decorations” (Visit Loudon). You can always find vintage pieces at thrift stores and antique shops, so grab a friend or family member, and go on a holiday hunt.
- Use upside down wine glasses with votive candles on top to make a beautiful, unique centerpiece. You can always decorate the wine glass with ribbons, or paint them with festive designs for an added flare.
- "Keep it simple---unless you're obsessive---then it's full decor ahead." -Jim Hasbrouck, Grey Swan Inn